Wednesday, January 28, 2009

of bright lights and skyscrapers...

This year marks the tenth year I've called KL my home. Leaving my comfort zone in Kedah in 1999 was a difficult thing to do initially. It was followed by constant trips back and forth between Kedah and KL; almost weekly..and as the years passed, the trips began to dwindle. Slowly I was able to adapt to this big, bad city and now I can safely say that KL runs through my blood and I will probably miss it if I ever decide to move elsewhere. My relationship with this city has been that thin line between love and hate. It sits in that grey area where I can't quite diss it totally for the horrible jam and pollution; nor can I totally enjoy the fast-paced rat race and bright neon lights at night. But I can safely say that this city is now my home; it has been for the past 10 years of my existence. It's really hard to fathom how fast time flies. I still remember the very first day I registered for my matriculation in PJ; the very day my life in this city began. And this year will mark 10 years since that moment. Despite the crazy traffic, the horrible air pollution sometimes, the mad rush to achieve being 10 places at one time, the fast food galore, the mamak stalls on every corner, I can't imagine not being here. I've always wanted to go overseas, but come to think of it, I would enjoy travelling for holidays, but I don't think I can leave this city for good. It has become so much a part of me. The traffic and the cursing and the insane havoc of it all has embedded itself within my veins that I relish the fact that I decided to come here some 10 years ago. Although I don't know what the future holds for me, I do believe that I am destined to make my mark in this city. Raising children here might not be the best of ideas but then again it is up to the parents to ensure that their kids turn out fine and not allow them to get caught up in the craziness of city life. I've pretty much seen it all, experienced a lot of things, tasted life as I fumbled my way through the ups and downs, laughed and cried, loved and lost, dancing and crawling.... but at the end of the day, life is what you make of it. Choices are what you decide based on your upbringing and a sense of what's right and wrong. I have pretty much enjoyed my life here and I wouldn't have had it any other way. The people I've met, the things I've been through... they have all made me what I am today. All in all, in conjunction with the upcoming Hari Wilayah Persekutuan, I would like to raise an imaginary glass and say "To KL, my home away from home." Here's to many, many more years of greatness and madness...

No comments: