Thursday, June 14, 2007

of shakespeare and bamboo sticks......


I was invited to attend the premiere of Sabera Sheik's latest play, Urmi, by a friend. Urmi translates to 'wave' in Javanese, thus alluding to the essence of the play which is a reinvention of William Shakespeare's revered Tempest. After agonizing over what to wear to such an event, I agreed on this kebaya nyonya. Nawar was a heck of a lot more excited than I am about the outfit! Anyway, the turn of events that night was something I was not expecting at all, but suffice to say I wouldn't have had it any other way. I can't say the same thing about the play though. Let's just say that Shakespeare died a million deaths in his grave that night! Apart from that, it was a good effort at a balinese dance theatre, I just thought it would have been better if the story was something original instead of converting a Bard masterpiece. The actors were good, especially Mano Maniam, and the dances were beautiful. The set was remarkable as well. But then again, putting aside the play, that night was a great night...after a long time, for that one night, I felt happy again......even if it was just for a couple of hours, I honestly would not have had it any other way. We were late for the play though, and honest to God, being late made the night what it was for me... happy...

.

No comments: