Sunday, June 24, 2007

of literature and controversy....

I just purchased a copy of D.H. Lawrence's most famous novel Lady Chatterley's Lover... in KL! Ever since I heard about this particular controversial piece of classic literature, I've been searching high and low for it in Malaysia, but to no avail. The book was banned in the USA and Britain at one point but it was lifted later on. I suppose it is still banned in Malaysia, but a trip to a warehouse book sale in Damansara today proved to be fruitful. I bought the book for a mere RM12.90!
It is rather odd how MPH, Borders and Kinokuniya don't seem to carry this title, but a warehouse sale is selling it. Actually what's even more odd is that the book is not sold openly here. If they're going to ban Lady Chatterley's Lover, they should impose the same law on all those books in the Mill's & Boon's series.
Anyway, I shall post a review of it and what I think of sexual openness (or the lack of it) in society when I'm done reading the book.
To fellow booklovers out there, you should really check this sale out. The prices are really cheap and they have quite a range. Here are the details:
Venue: Level 1, Atria Damansara, Damansara Jaya
Time : Shopping mall hours
Payment mode: Cash and Credit Card (for purchases above RM30.00)
Do make your way there. You won't be disappointed. Need directions? If you know me, gimme a buzz on my cellphone and I'll be more than happy to direct you. If you don't know me, well... I guess that's what maps are for :-)

No comments: